Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Father Knows Best

By Mike Monahan, CEO and executive director of Life Success Seminars Inc.

Years ago, there was a TV series called "Father Knows Best." Maybe your version of the TV show is called "Mother Knows Best." As a parent of five, I often fell into the trap of thinking that I knew what was best for my kids. Many times, I found that it was more about me being in control than really knowing what was best.

Most parents want the best for their children, but the children usually don't see it the same way. As a parent, I had to learn what was best for where my kids were in life and what was important to them--not what was important to me.

When you're 16, responsibility isn't high on the list of things you want to do. At 16, you want to be popular, look cool and fit in with other popular people. Father and Mother may know best, but teenagers don't care!

Remember: Never argue with a fool because a passer-by doesn't know who's who!

1 comment: